Monday, July 02, 2007

This day in music history.

July 2, 1962, Jimi Hendrix was discharged from the 101st Airborne Paratroopers. Jimi had joined the military at the age of 18 after having been busted for steeling a car. He was given a choice between spending two years in prison or joining the army. Jimi always said he was discharged because he broke his ankle during a parachute jump. Recently released Army documents state that he was discharged because he "slept on the job", had "little regard for regulations", and was once "apprehended masturbating" in the latrine. It goes on to say that Hendrix was a "habitual offender" and had "homosexual tendencies". Jimi was discharged without honors but avoided going to Vietnam.
Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix
Machine gun
Tearing my body all apart
Machine gun, yeah
Tearing my body all apart
Evil man make me kill ya
Evil man make you kill me
Evil man make me kill you
Even though were only families apart
Well I pick up my axe and fight like a bomber
(you know what I mean)
Hey! and your bullets keep knocking me down
Hey, I pick up my axe and fight like a bomber now
Yeah, but you still blast me down to the ground
The same way you shoot me down, baby
Youll be going just the same
Three times the pain,
And your own self to blame
Hey, machine gun
I aint afraid of your mess no more, babe
I aint afraid no more
After a while, your,
your cheap talk dont even cause me pain,
So let your bullets fly like rain
cause I know all the time youre wrong baby
And youll be going just the same
Yeah, machine gun
Tearing my family apart
Yeah, yeah, alright
Tearing my family apart
dont you shoot him down
hes bout to leave here
dont you shoot him down
hes got to stay here
he aint going nowhere
hes been shot down to the ground
oh where he cant survive, no, no
Yeah, thats what we dont wanna hear anymore,
alright?
no bullets
At least here, huh huh
no guns, no bombs
Huh huh
no nothin, just lets all live and live
you know, instead of killin
May this be Love or just
Confusion born out of
Frustration wracked feelings of not
Being able to make true physical love
to the universal gypsy queen
True, free expressed music
Darling guitar please
Rest.
amen