Thursday, March 01, 2007

This day in music history.

March 1, 1977, Manfred Manns Earth Band receives their first gold record for "Blinded by the Light". The Earth band was formed after keyboard player Manfred Mann left his original band because he was sick of "the hit machine" ("Do Wah Diddy Diddy" and so forth). Blinded By The Light was a Bruce Springsteen song from Springsteens first record (Greetings From Asbury Park). The Earth Band would have two more hits with copies of songs off Greetings From Asbury Park, ("Spirit in the Night" and "For You").
Blinded By The Light
Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night
Madman drummers bummers, Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin' kinda older, I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasin', sneezin' and wheezin, the calliope crashed to the ground
The calliope crashed to the ground
But she was...Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, runner in the night
Some silicone sister with a manager mister told me I go what it takes
She said "I'll turn you on sonny to something strong,
if you play that song with the funky break"
And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe outside
And little Early-Pearly came by in his curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride
Asked me if I needed a ride
Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun'
but mama, that's where the fun is
Some brimstone baritone Anticyclone rolling stone Preacher from the east
Says dethrone the dictaphone
Hit it in the funnybone That's where they expect it least
And some new mown chaperone was standing in the corner
Watching the young girls dance
And some fresh-sown moonstone was messing with his frozen zone
Reminding him of romance