Monday, February 12, 2007

This day in music history.

February 12, 1976, Screamin' Jay Hawkins died at the age of 70 following surgery to treat an aneurysm. Born Jalacy J. Hawkins in Cleveland, Ohio, on July, 18, 1929. He joined the Army at the age of 14 and fought in the second world war as well as the Korean war. He was a Golden Gloves boxing champion, he was married nine times and spent two years in jail. He is considered to be one of the most outrageous rockers of his time. Part of his stage show had him emerging out of a coffin and singing to a flaming skull. Hawkins biggest hit was "I Put A Spell On You" which he recorded in 1956. He once said "I came into this world black, naked and ugly. And no matter how much I accumulate here, it's a short journey. I will go out of this world black, naked and ugly. So I enjoy life."
I Put A Spell On You by Screamin Jay Hawkins
I put a spell on you’
cause you’re mine
You better stop the things you do
I ain’t lyin’
No I ain’t lyin’
You know I can’t stand it
You’re runnin’ around
You know better daddy
I can’t stand it cause you put me down
I put a spell on you
Because you’re mine
You’re mine
I love ya
I love you
I love you
I love you anyhow
And I don’t care
If you don’t want me
I’m yours right now
You hear me
I put a spell on you
Because you’re mine