Saturday, February 03, 2007

This day in music history.

February 3, 1968, The Lemon Pipers only hit makes it to number one. The band is said to have hated the song but the record company (Buddah) demanded they record it and release it as a single. "Green Tambourine" is now considered to be one of the best songs of one of the worst genres of rock, "Psychedelic Bubblegum".
Green Tambourine
Drop your silver in my tambourine
Help a poor man fill a pretty dream
Give me pennies, I'll take anything
Now listen while I play My green tambourine
Watch the jingle jangle start to shine

Reflections of the music that is mine
When you toss a coin you'll hear it sing
Now listen while I play My green tambourine
Drop a dime before I walk away

Any song you want I'll gladly play
Money feeds my music machine
Now listen while I play My green tambourine
Listen and I'll play . . .