Saturday, January 27, 2007

This day in music history.

January 27, 1972, "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" goes gold. It would be the first gold record for The New Seekers and the first commercial jingle to go gold. The song was written as the music for Coca-Cola commercials. On the commercials the song is sung by a racially diverse group standing on a hillside and the song is credited to The Hillside Singers. The New Seekers released a version without the Coke references and it went to number 1 in the UK and number 7 in the US. The New Seekers also had hits with the songs "Look What They've Done To My Song, Ma", "Beautiful People" and "The Nickel Song".
I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing
I'd like to build the world a home
And furnish it with love
Grow apple trees and honey bees and snow-white turtle doves
I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
I'd like to hold it in my arms and keep it company
I'd like to see the world for once
All standing hand in hand
And hear them echo through the hills
"Ah, peace throughout the land"...