Saturday, November 18, 2006

This day in music history.

November 18, 1972, Danny Whitten died of a drug overdose. He was an original member of Neil Youngs Crazy Horse and along with Young Whitten played guitar and sang on the song "Cinnamon Girl". He also played guitar on the song "Southern Man". After being fired from the band several times because of his heroin addiction, Danny was given one last chance to tour with Neil but he was unable to concentrate and play in time so Neil Young fired him on November 18. He gave Danny 50 dollars and a plane ticket home. Danny spent the 50 dollars on heroin and overdosed that same day. Neil blamed himself for his death and wrote the haunting "Needle And The Damage Done" for Danny. Danny Whitten also wrote the song "I Don't Wanna Talk About It" which was a big hit for Rod Stewart. They say that after Whitten's death, all of his belongings fit into a single cardboard box.
Needle And The Damage Done by Neil Young
I caught you knockin'at my cellar door
I love you, baby,
can I have some more
Ooh, ooh, the damage done.
I hit the city and
I lost my band
I watched the needle
take another man
Gone, gone, the damage done.
I sing the song
because I love the man
I know that some of you don't understand
Milk-blood
to keep from running out.
I've seen the needle
and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every junkie's
like a settin' sun....