Saturday, October 14, 2006

This day in music history.

October 14, 1990, Leonard Bernstein died from emphysema. Leonard was a composer, conductor, pianist, teacher, and consummate entertainer. He conducted the New York Philharmonic and the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. He composed the music for five of the all time great Broadway plays including "West Side Story" and "On The Waterfront". Leonard Bernstein died just five days after retiring. Leonard once said "Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable."
Maria
The most beautiful sound I ever heard:
Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria.
All the beautiful sounds of the world in a single word:
Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria.
Maria, I've just met a girl named Maria,
and suddenly the name will never be the same to me
Maria!
I've just kissed a girl named Maria.
And suddenly
I've found how wonderful a sound can be.
Maria,
say it loud and there's music playing
Say it soft and it's almost like praying
Maria, I never stop saying:
"Maria!"