Sunday, October 08, 2006

This day in music history.

October 8, 1966, The U.S. Government declares LSD illegal. LSD was invented in 1938 by Albert Hofmann at the Sandoz chemical-pharmaceutical laboratory in Basle, Switzerland. Originally Sandoz Pharmaceutical company developed the chemical with hopes of marketing it commercially (under the trade name "Delysid") as a circulatory and respiratory stimulant. Later they advertised it as a cure all for everything from alcoholism to schizophrenia and sexual perversions. In its original literature they suggested that psychiatrists take the drug themselves in order to "gain an understanding of the subjective experiences of the schizophrenic." In a three year period LSD was prescribed as treatment to over 40,000 patients. It was also used by the CIA as an interrogative agent during their "MK-ULTRA" project. The US military considered using LSD as a "psychochemical weapon" and toyed with the idea of putting it in an enemy countries water supply. In order to gain more information on the drug they gave it to over 2800 American soldiers many of them unknowingly.
DLAK note: I think we should rethink the whole psychochemical weapon thing and drop a couple of million hits on Iraq. Also, Psychochemical Weapon would be a good name for a band.
Eight Miles High by The Byrds
Eight miles high and when you touch down
Youll find that its stranger than known
Signs in the street that say where youre going
Are somewhere just being their own
Nowhere is there warmth to be found
Among those afraid of losing their ground
Rain gray town known for its sound
In places small faces unbound
Round the squares huddled in storms
Some laughing some just shapeless forms
Sidewalk scenes and black limousines
Some living some standing alone

White Rabbit by The Jefferson Airplane
One pill makes you larger,
And one pill makes you small,
And the ones that mother gives you,
Dont do anything at all.
Go ask Alice,When shes ten feet tall.
And if you go chasing rabbits,
And you know youre going to fall,
Tell them a hookah smoking caterpillar,
Has given you the call.
Call Alice,When she was just small.
When men on the chessboard,
Get up and tell you where to go,
And youve just had some kind of mushroom,
And your mind is moving low.
Go ask Alice,
I think shell know.
When logic and proportion,
Have fallen slowly dead,
And the White Knight is talking backwards,
And the Red Queens lost her head!
Remember what the Dormouse said.
Feed your head,
Feed your head!

Sunshine Superman by Donovan
Sunshine came softly through my window today
Could've tripped out easy
but I've changed my ways
It'll take time, I know it but in a while
You're gonna be mine, I know it, we'll do it in style
'Cause I made my mind up you're going to be mine
I'll tell you right now
Any trick in the book now, baby
that I can find
Everybody's hustlin' just to have a little scene
When I say we'll be cool I think that you know what I mean
We stood on a beach at sunset, do you remember when?
I know a beach where, baby,
it never ends
When you've made your mind up forever to be mine
I'll pick up your hand and slowly blow your little mind
'Cause I made my mind up you're going to be mine
I'll tell you right now
Any trick in the book now, baby, that I can find
Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me
I can make like a turtle and dive for pearls in the sea,
yeah!
you can just sit there thinking
on your velvet throne
'bout all the rainbows
you can a-have for your own
When you've made your mind up forever to be mine
I'll pick up your hand and slowly blow your little mind
When you've made your mind up forever to be mine...