Monday, July 03, 2006

This day in music history.

July 3, 1969, Brian Jones (age 27) is found dead in his swimming pool at his Cotchford Farm, Hartfield, England home. Rumors of suicide and murder begin. The coroner cites high levels of alcohol and barbituates in his blood and attributes the drowning to "misadventure" and noted that Brians liver and heart were heavily enlarged. His body was found at the bottom of the pool by his Swedish girlfriend Anna Wohlin. Jones was buried 12 feet deep (to stop grave robbers) in a silver and bronze casket sent for his funeral by friend Bob Dylan. Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman were the only Rolling Stones that went to the funeral. Reportedly on the same day as he heard the news of Brian's drowning, Pete Townshend wrote the song, "A Normal Day For Brian, A Man Who Died Every Day" the lyrics read
"I used to play my guitar as a kid
wishing that I could be like him
But today I changed my mind
I decided that I don't want to die
But it was a normal day for Brian
Rock and Roll's that way
It was a normal day for Brian
A man who died every day"