Monday, May 22, 2006

This day in music history.

May 22, 1961, Ernie K-Doe has his only pop hit when his song "Mother-In-Law" made it to number one on the charts. Born Ernest Kador, Jr. (in New Orleans) in 1936, Ernie was an accomplished blues singer and drummer. K-Doe once said "The only currently familiar tunes which will still be known in 1,000 years are "The Star Spangled Banner" and "Mother In Law". He billed himself as "The Emperor of the Universe" and wore a cape and crown. He operated a music club in New Orleans called "Ernie K-Doe's Mother-In-Law Lounge" until his death in 2001. His widow, Antoinette K-Doe, continued to operate the club after his death but it was severely damaged in Hurricane Katrina. She is in the process of rebuilding the club. She led a campaign for K-Doe's election for mayor of hurricane-ravaged New Orleans in 2006, five years after his death. She said "He's the only one qualified".
Mother In-Law by Ernie K-Doe
The worst person I know
(Mother-in law, mother-in law)
(Mother-in law, mother-in law)
she worries me, so
If she'd leave us alone
we would have a happy home
Sent from down below
Mother in Law Mother in Law
Satan should be her name
To me they're bout the same
Every time I open my mouth
She steps in, tries to put me out
How could she stoop so low
I come home with my pay
She asks me what I made
She thinks her advice is the constitution
But if she would leave
that would be the solution
And don't come back no more
Mother in law
My......mother in law, ah
Oh yeah