Sunday, April 16, 2006

This day in music history.

April 16, 1969, Desmond Dekker and the Aces were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Israelites', making Dekker the first Jamaican artist to have a UK No.1 single. The song also got to the top 10 in the US making it Dekkers biggest international success.
Israelites by Desmond Dekker and the Aces
Get up in the morning slaving for bread sir
So that every mouth can be fed
Oooh, oooh mi israelites.
Mi wife an ma kids them a pack up an a leave me
Darling she said I was yours to be seen
Oooh, oooh mi israelites
Who am I workin for?
Cho!
shirt dem a tear-up trousers a go
I dont wan to end up like bonny and clyde
Oooh, oooh mi israelites
After a storm there must be a calm
Uou catch me in your farm,
you sound your alarm
Oooh, oooh mi israelites