Saturday, April 01, 2006

This day in music history.

April 1, 1984, Marvin Gaye was shot dead by his father during a violent argument at his parent's home in Los Angeles. Using a gun that Marvin himself had given him four months earlier, his father was later charged and found guilty and was sentenced to five years for voluntary manslaughter. It happened one day before Marvins forty-fifth birthday. Gaye's relatives claimed that he had purposely pushed his father to the edge so that he could have Marvin, Sr. kill him instead of having to commit suicide. Others say Marvin physically attacked his father for verbally abusing his mother and Gay Sr. responded by shooting his son to death.
God Is Love by Marvin Gaye
Oh don't go and talk about my father
God is my friend
Jesus is my friend
He made this world for us to live in,
and gave us everything
And all he asks of us is we give each other love.
Oh ya
Don't go and talk about my father
Cause God is my friend
Jesus is my friend
He loves us whether or not we know it
Just loves us,
oh ya
And He'll forgive all our sins
Forgive all our sins
And all He asks of us, is we give each other love.
Oh ya
Love your mother, she bore you
Love your father, he works for you
Love your sister, she's good to you
Love your brother, your brother
Don't go and talk about my father,
He's good to us,
God is my friend
Jesus is my friend
For when we call in Him for mercy,
Mercy Father
He'll be merciful, my friend
Oh, yes He will

All he asks of us,
I know,
is we give each other love,
Oh ya