Tuesday, March 07, 2006

This day in music history.

March 7, 1964, Cassius Clay's Record becomes one of the most sought after albums of the year. High sales are attributed to Clay's defeat of Sonny Liston. The album is called "I Am the Greatest". Columbia expects to sell 500,000 copies and Clay says, "I'm better and prettier than Chubby Checker." The record had been released in 1963 before he became the champ, alot of the lyrics are insults to Sonny Liston. The record is mostly spoken word and was recorded in front of a live audience.
Excerpt from I Am The Greatest
"Here I predict Mr. Liston's dismemberment.
I'll hit him so hard he'll wonder where October
and November went,"
"I have rassled with an alligator/I done tossled with a whale
I done locked up lightning/And thrown thunder in jail,
" ...