Sunday, February 19, 2006

This day in music history.

February 19, 1980, At the age of 33, Bon Scott goes out drinking with a friend in London. Later that night when they arrive back at their flat, Bon's friend leaves him passed out in the car. Bon chokes to death on his vomit, his friend finds him the next morning. He was pronounced dead on arrival at Kings College Hospital. Bon was on tour promoting AC/DCs first big hit "Highway To Hell". Scott was buried in Fremantle Cemetery. Fans are known to pay tribute to Scott by drinking at his gravesite. The National Trust of Australia has decreed his grave important enough to be included on the list of classified heritage places. After Bon's death Ozzy Osbourne said "Bon was one of the nicest guys I ever met. I really mean that. If he was an asshole I'd tell you. Im not just saying that because the poor guy is dead. He really was a lovely guy...It was a great loss."

"All the songs we do are basically about one of three things: booze, sex or rock n roll. It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." - Bon Scott -
Highway To Hell by AC/DC
Living easy, living free
Season ticket on a one-way ride
Asking nothing, leave me be
Taking everything in my stride
Don't need reason, don't need rhyme
Ain't nothing I would rather do
Going down, party time
My friends are gonna be there too
I'm on the highway to hell
No stop signs, speed limit
Nobody's gonna slow me down
Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Nobody's gonna mess me round
Hey Satan, payin' my dues
Playing in a rocking band
Hey Momma, look at me
I'm on my way to the promised land
I'm on the highway to hell
(Don't stop me)
And I'm going down, all the way down
I'm on the highway to hell