Sunday, January 22, 2006

This day in music history.

January 22, 1959, Alone with his guitar and a tape recorder Buddy Holly sits on his couch and records a handful of songs, he was working on his first solo album. The songs taped this day, include "Peggy Sue Got Married," "Crying, Waiting, Hoping," "That's What They Say," "What to Do," "Learning the Game" "That Makes it Tough, and Dearest (ummm, Oh Yeah). These recordings will become known as the apartment tapes, they were overdubbed posthumously and released by Coral Records. The original tapes are also available on bootlegs. These recordings can best be described as haunting and in my opinion a couple of the songs represent his best work.
Dearest (Ummm, Oh Yeah)
Dearest, though you're the nearest to my heart
Please don't ever
ummm yeah
ever say we'll part
You scold, and you are so bold
Yes together
ummm yeah
our love will grow old
Ummm yeah
our love will grow old
You may-ay-ay-ay
be a million miles away
Please believe me
ummm yeah
when you hear me say
I love you,
I love you
Come ho-o-o-ome,
keep me from these sleepless nights
Try my love again
ummm yeah
I'm gonna treat you right,
ummm yeah,
I'm gonna treat you right