Sunday, December 25, 2005

This day in music history.

December 25, 1955, Johnny Ace died at the age of 26. He had shot himself in the head while playing Russian roulette. The shooting occurred at a Christmas dance featuring the popular singer and his band. Ace had gone backstage for a five-minute break and had been fooling around with a revolver with one bullet in the chamber. Johnny was born John Alexander in 1929, at the time of his death he was one of the brightest stars in r&b. He had his first hit, "My Song," in 1952 he followed that up with eight more hits in a row, including "Cross My Heart," "Please Forgive Me," "The Clock," "Yes, Baby" and "Never Let Me Go." After his death the song "Pledging My Love" was released and became his biggest hit.
Pledging My Love by Johnny Ace
Forever my darling our love will be true
Always and forever I'll love only you
just promise me darling your love in return
May this fire in my soul dear forever burn
My heart's at your command dear
To keep love and to hold
Making you happy is my desire dear
Keeping you is my goal
I'll forever love you
For the rest of my days
I'll never part from you Or your loving ways
Just promise me darling your love in return
May this fire in my soul dear forever burn