Thursday, October 20, 2005

This day in music history.

October 20, 1977, Lynyrd Skynyrd were on their way to a show in Louisiana when their plane crashed, killing band members Ronnie VanZant, and Steve Gaines. The crash also took the lives of Gaines sister Cassie, one of the three backing singers, and manager Dean Kilpatrick, the rest of the band was seriously injured.
The pilot of the chartered Convair 240 airplane radioed that the craft was dangerously low on fuel. Less than ten minutes later, at 6:42 PM the plane crashed into a densely wooded thicket in the middle of a Mississippi swamp. The plane cut a 500 foot path through the swamp.
Their latest album 'Street Survivors' was released three days earlier and would turn out to be one of the bands biggest hits. The picture on the cover of the album showed the band engulfed in flames, the album was pulled from the shelves immediately and the cover was redesigned (without the flames).
Ronnie was laid to rest with his trademark Texas Hatters black hat and favorite fishing pole. Charlie Daniels sang 'Amazing Grace' standing in front of the rose-covered brass coffin, The minister told the mourners that Ronnie was not dead; that he lived on in heaven in spirit and on earth in song.
One More Time by Lynyrd Skynyrd
How can you stand there smilin' After all you've done
You know it seems to make you happy When you've hurt someone
Twice before you fooled me With your deceivin' and lyin'
Come in and close the door One more time
Yeah you've been gone so long No one knows where
And you say that you still love me Then show me you care
'Cause you got what it takes sweet mama To make a man feel fine
So I'll take the word of a liar One more time
Girl you've got me hungry Losin' my mind
I know I'm playin' with fire Get burned everytime
Yes I'm a fool for you baby I can't deny
But I got to have your sweet love
One more time
Girl you've got me hungry Losin' my mind

I know I'm playin' with fire I get burned everytime
Yes I'm a fool for you mama I can't deny
But I got to have your sweet love One more time
Yes I'm her fool once more I can read her brown eyes

But when the rooster crows tomorrow Well its her turn to cry
I'm headed down that old road She lost her free ride
So tonight I'll take what I paid for One more time
One more time