Saturday, October 15, 2005

This day in music history.

October 15, 1971, At the age of 31 years, Rick Nelson was booed off the stage when he didn't play all oldies at the seventh Annual Rock n Roll Revival show at Madison Square Garden, New York. He tried to slip in some of his new material and the crowd did not approve. Nelson was one of the biggest of the '50s teen idols and his fans did not approve of his new image. The negative reaction to his performance inspired Nelson to write his last top-10 hit, Garden Party, which hit number 6 about a year after the Madison Square Garden show.
Garden Party by Ricky Nelson
I went to a garden party to reminisce with my old friends
A chance to share old memories and play our songs again
When I got to the garden party, they all knew my name
No one recognized me, I didn't look the same
But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well.
You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself
People came from miles around, everyone was there Yoko brought her walrus,
there was magic in the air 'n' over in the corner, much to my surprise
Mr. Hughes hid in Dylan's shoes wearing his disguise
Played them all the old songs, thought that's why they came
No one heard the music, we didn't look the same

I said hello to "Mary Lou",
she belongs to me When I sang a song about a honky-tonk,
it was time to leave
Someone opened up a closet door and out stepped Johnny B. Goode
Playing guitar like a-ringin' a bell and lookin' like he should
If you gotta play at garden parties, I wish you a lotta luck
But if memories were all I sang, I rather drive a truck
it's all right now, learned my lesson well

You see, ya can't please everyone,
so you got to please yourself