Monday, September 26, 2005

This day in music history.

September 26, 1957, West Side Story opened in New York. The musical ran for 734 performances. It was based on William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. West Side story was written by Arthur Laurents, Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Soundheim. The play produced several hit songs, including Maria and Tonight. West Side story dealt with social problems in an uncompromising way and some say it was a turning point in American entertainment. The play tells the story of two New York gangs (The Jets and The Sharks) battling over the same turf. It also tells the story of Tony and Maria, who fall in love, despite the fact that they are associated with rival gangs.
GEE, OFFICER KRUPKE from West Side Story
My father is a bastard, My ma's an S.O.B. My grandpa's always plastered, My grandma pushes tea.
My sister wears a mustache, My brother wears a dress. Goodness gracious, that's why I'm a mess!
Yes!
Officer Krupke, you're really a slob. This boy don't need a doctor, just a good honest job.
Society's played him a terrible trick, And sociologic'ly he's sick!
I am sick!
We are sick, we are sick, We are sick, sick, sick, Like we're sociologically sick!
In my opinion, this child don't need to have his head shrunk at all.
Juvenile delinquency is purely a social disease!
Hey, I got a social disease! So take him to a social worker!
Dear kindly social worker, They say go earn a buck.
Like be a soda jerker, Which means like be a schumck.
It's not I'm anti-social, I'm only anti-work. That's why I'm a jerk!
Eek! Officer Krupke, you've done it again. This boy don't need a job, he needs a year in the pen.
It ain't just a question of misunderstood; Deep down inside him, he's no good!
I'm no good! We're no good, we're no good! We're no earthly good,
Like the best of us is no damn good!
The trouble is he's crazy.
The trouble is he drinks.
The trouble is he's lazy.
The trouble is he stinks.
The trouble is he's growing.
The trouble is he's grown.
Krupke, we got troubles of our own! Gee, Officer Krupke, We're down on our knees,
Cause no one wants a fellow with a social disease.
Gee, Officer Krupke, What are we to do? Gee, Officer Krupke,
Krup you!