Saturday, September 24, 2005

This day in music history.

September 24, 1953, At the age of 43, while in Memphis, Howlin' Wolf recorded several songs at the legendary Sun Studio. Among them were three songs written by Wolf, "Just My Kind", "Work For Your Money", and "Momma Died And Left Me". At 6 foot 3 inches and close to 300 pounds he was an imposing presence. Howlin' Wolf's voice has been compared to "the sound of heavy machinery operating on a gravel road". On stage Wolf had an act that few who witnessed it could ever forget. Shouting, whooping and hollering, furiously blowing into a harmonica over the wail of electrified instruments, Wolf was capable of bringing down the house while simultaneously "scaring its patrons out of their wits.
Just My Kind by Howlin Wolf
Just my color, oooh you're just my kind
Well you're just my color, ooh you're just my kind
Well you keep me worried darlin', bothered all the time.
Well I told my baby, cried all night long
I told my baby now, cried all night long
Well you just my color darlin', you just my kind.
Well I wrang my hands, cried all night long
I wrang my hands, cried all night long
Well you just my color darlin'
you done me wrong.