Monday, September 19, 2005

This day in music history.

September 19, 1973, Ingram Cecil Connor III died of a heroin overdose in Joshua Tree, California. He was better known as Gram Parsons. He died at the age of 26. Member of The Byrds (He left the band after refusing to play in apartheid ridden South Africa), and The Flying Burrito Brothers. Parsons described his records as "Cosmic American Music." Parsons' body disappeared from the airport where it was being readied to be shipped to Louisiana for burial. His former road manager, Phil Kaufman, claimed that Gram had remarked after Clarence White's (Kentucky Colonels and the Byrds) funeral in July of that year that he did not want to be buried when he died, but instead would rather be taken out to Joshua Tree and burned. Kaufman and a friend managed to steal Parson's body from the airport and, in a borrowed hearse, drove Parsons' body to Joshua Tree where they cremated it. They were arrested several days later and fined $700 for burning the coffin, since stealing a body was not a crime.
In My Hour Of Darkness by Gram Parsons
In my hour of darkness, in my time of need
oh, Lord grant me vision, oh, Lord grant me speed
once I knew a young man went driving through the night
miles and miles without a word with just his high-beam lights
who'd have ever thought they'd build such a deadly Denver bend
to be so strong, to take so long as it would till the end
in my hour of darkness, in my time of need oh, Lord grant me vision
oh, Lord grant me speed another young man safely strummed his silver string guitar
and he played to people everywhere
some say he was a star but he was just a country boy
his simple songs confessand the music he had in him
so very few possess
in my hour of darkness, in my time of need oh, Lord grant me vision, oh, Lord grant me speed
then there was an old man, kind and wise with age and he read me just like a book and he never missed a page
and I loved him like my father and I loved him like my friend
and I knew his time would shortly come but I did not know just when
in my hour of darkness, in my time of need oh, Lord grant me vision, oh, Lord grant me speed
oh, Lord grant me vision, oh, Lord grant me speed