Monday, September 12, 2005

This day in music history.

September 12, 1966, N.B.C. aired the first episode of The Monkees TV show. Don Kirshner came up with the idea after seeing the Beatle's movie 'A Hard Days Night' . When they held auditions for the show in 1965. An ad was placed in Variety magizine, and amongst the 437 applications were Stephen Stills, Danny Hutton (Three Dog Night ), Harry Nilsson and Paul Williams. At the height of their popularity, recordings by The Monkees outsold those of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones combined, and the group shattered sales records previously set by Elvis Presley. They would have 3 number 1 hits in the U.S., "Last Train To Clarksville," "I'm A Believer," and "Daydream Believer". They would sell 16 million albums and 7 1/2 million singles, all in 2 and 1/2 years. The last episode of The Monkees was aired on March 25, 1968.
I'm Going To Buy Me A Dog by The Monkees
You know my girl just called me up
And she woke me from my sleep
You should have heard the things she said
You know she hurt my feelings deep.
I'm gonna buy me a dog [A dog, a dog! Why?]
'Cause I need a friend now.
[Say, you need all the friends you can get]
I'm gonna buy me a dog,
My girl, my girl, don't love me no how.
She used to bring me my newspaper'
Cause she knew where it was at.
She used to keep me so contented.
But I can teach a dog to do that.
I'm gonna buy me a dog,
'Cause I need a friend now
I'm gonna buy me a dog,
My girl, my girl, don't love me no how