Sunday, August 07, 2005

This day in music.

August 7, 1993, Cypress Hills 'Black Sunday' LP hit #1 in the U.S. The rap-rock, hip-hop (with a Latin flavor) quartet from the streets of South Central L.A. took their name from a street running through their neighborhood. The band became notorious for their endorsement of marijuana and was banned from Saturday Night Live after D.J. Muggs lit up a joint and the band trashed their instruments. The 'Black Sunday' LP would sell over 3 million copies with the song 'Insane in the Brain' becoming a crossover hit. Some of the other songs on the album were "I Wanna Get High" "When the Shit Goes Down" "Legalize It" and "Hits from the Bong"
excerpt from Insane In The Brain by Cypress Hill
" Like Louie Armstrong Played the trumpet I'll hit dat bong and break ya off something soon
I got to get my props Cops Come and try to snatch my crops These pigs wanna blow my house down
Head underground To the next town They get mad When they come to raid my pad
And I'm out in the nine deuce Cad' Yes I'm the pirate pilot Of this ship if I get Wit' the ultraviolet dream
Hide from the red light beam Now do you believe in the unseen Look, but don't make your eyes strain
A nigga like me is goin' insane, Insane in the membrane, Insane in the brain! Insane in the membrane,
Insane in the brain! Insane in the membrane, Plenty insane, Got no brain! Insane in the membrane,
Insane in the brain! Insane in the brain, It's because I'm loco, Insane in the brain, It's because I'm loco"

After learning of its success vocalist B-Real said “I never dreamed it would be number one.”
DLAK note: lol