Monday, August 01, 2005

This day in music history.

August 1, 1981, Empty V's (MTV) goes on the air, showing 24 hour a day music videos. The Buggles 'Video Killed the Radio Star' is the first video shown. In the early days MTV was the coolest thing we had ever seen . They would show 4 or 5 videos (Mostly classic rock) and then a couple commercials (usually a K-Tell product), now its all cartoons, reality shows, game shows and some of the worst TV programming ever thought of.
Excerpt from "MTV Get Off The Air" by The Dead Kennedys
"Hi
I’m your video dj
I always talk like I’m wigged out on quaaludes
I wear a satin baseball jacket everywhere I go
My job is to help destroy What’s left of your imagination
By feeding you endless doses Of sugar-coated mindless garbage
So don’t create Be sedate Be a vegetable at home And thwack on that dial
If we have our way even you will believe This is the future of rock and roll
How far will you go How low will you stoop To tranquilize our minds with
your sugar-coated swill You’ve turned rock and roll rebellion Into pat boone
sedation Making sure nothing’s left to the imagination M.T.V. get off the air..."