Sunday, July 10, 2005

This day in music history.

July 10, 1967, Kenny Rogers leaves the New Christy Minstrels to form the First Edition. Within the year the band was called Kenny Rogers and The First Edition, and his distinctive voice led the group to both pop and country chart success. First Edition scored five Top 40 hits including...
-Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)" - But You Know I Love You - Ruby don't Take Your Love To Town - Reuben James - Shine On Ruby Mountain - Something's Burning.
Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)...
woke up this mornin' with the sundown shinin' in
I found my mind in a brown paper bag within
I tripped on a cloud and fell-a eight miles high
I tore my mind on a jagged sky
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in (Yeah, yeah, oh-yeah, what condition my condition was in)
I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in
I watched myself crawlin' out as I was a-crawlin' in
I got up so tight I couldn't unwind
I saw so much I broke my mind
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in (Yeah, yeah, oh-yeah, what condition my condition was in)
Someone painted "April Fool" in big black letters on a "Dead End" sign
I had my foot on the gas as I left the road and blew out my mind
Eight miles outta Memphis and I got no spare
Eight miles straight up downtown somewhere
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in

I said I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in