Wednesday, July 06, 2005

This day in music history.

July 6, 1971, Bandleader, singer and trumpet player Louis Armstrong died. He was unsure of the exact date so he celebrated his birthday on July 4. He usually gave the year as 1900. It has since been established his birthday was August 4, 1901. Armstrong is considered to have invented jazz singing and his influence on the development of jazz is virtually immeasurable.
"I never tried to prove nothing, just wanted to give a good show. My life has always been my music, it's always come first, but the music ain't worth nothing if you can't lay it on the public. The main thing is to live for that audience, 'cause what you're there for is to please the people, my whole life, my whole soul, my whole spirit is to blow that horn".
- Louis Armstrong-